Friday, November 7, 2008

FOOD FRIDAY!


GREEN SALAD WITH NAVEL ORANGE, RED ONION AND OLIVES

This final dispatch from the Delaware trailer is a simple but snappy concoction I served to Chuck and Sandy with the Peruvian Shrimp Soup a week ago tonight. It's inspired by flavors from south of the border and is a perfect foil to the richness of the soup. I could have sworn I'd collected it somewhere, but when I went looking for the recipe last week I couldn't find it, so I winged it from memory. It's different, and it's good!

2 medium sweet navel oranges, peeled, sections separated and cut into bite-size chunks

1 small red onion

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons chile powder

1/2 cup seeded kalamata olives

1/4 cup lime juice

3/4 cup olive oil

1 bag torn soft lettuces (hearts of romaine will also do)

Peel onion and halve from pole to pole. Slice halves into very thin half-moons.

An hour before serving, place orange chunks and onion slices in salad bowl. Toss with salt and set aside about an hour, allowing juices to extract.

Add remaining ingredients in order listed, toss to combine well, serve.

No comments: