Wednesday, April 21, 2010

All's Well!

Please forgive me for the longer-than-usual hiatus--I'm dropping just a few lines now because some friends have expressed concern that there may be something amiss, especially since I mentioned that pain-in-the-ass lien in the last post.  Really sorry to have given you reason to worry--there's enough of that already in all of our lives....

There is no excuse for my not writing more other than the usual one:  it's busy around here and seems to have become moreso, if that's possible, since we moved into the place.  We settled in and set ourselves up in record time--by the time we'd been here a month it looked like we'd lived here all our lives--but that's because we're both freaks about living out of boxes.   We must have order in whatever passes for home or we go nuts.  And once all was in order on the inside, we started with a vengeance on the outside.  Now we're finally getting to build the deck, and I must say I'm surprising myself at the hammering skills--and general coping skills--I'm developing through the process.  I generally hate construction.  You have to hit things hard and half the time what you plan doesn't pan out the first time--something doesn't fit, or nails miss their mark, or I have to bend this ungainly body into positions I was never meant to assume.  But today I did a pretty good job of some pretty hard stuff involving all of the above:  pieces that didn't fit, nails that didn't go through, and positions I needed aspirin simply to get into. 

The lien: I finally did what I should have done from the beginning.  I called the law office that handled the closing on this land purchase.  They were able to solve the problem literally overnight.  Turned out our purchase enabled the seller to retire his debt, which he did, but nobody bothered to tell the county about it.  We are simply awaiting the paperwork from the seller's lending bank certifying the payoff, which I will then hand carry to the county here to have registered.  We have a month for all this to happen before our loan application would have to be re-done, so we're not worried.

Thanks for your kind wishes and your expressions of solicitude.  If you want to know what's up on a more regular basis, I'm a lot more present on Facebook these days than here, simply because Facebook requires less of a time commitment.  Join me there--I love friends!  And I promise to try to do better here.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

I know Facebook is where I keep up with you these days, along with lots of my other friends. Your place looks great and it must be a good feeling to finally be moved in. I know we were glad when that day came for us.

Anonymous said...

I gave up on facebook, too many people trying to sell something. I'm waiting for the famous "Food Friday" think maybe it's time you started cranking up the new kitchen. Glad you're moved in and my memories of living on the river, here in Florida, was work, work,work all weekend. I think that's one of the reasons I sold the boat. A riverfront property is really good if you are retired. You have time to care for it. Please keep this blog going. The house looks marvelous!

Ralph said...

It is a good feeling, Jenny, and a new one, as it should be. Settled, but busy. That will probably be so for at least a year as we complete things.

Ralph said...

Z&M, I have cranked up the kitchen and even taken some pictures of good new stuff that I've cooked. It's just a matter of carving out the time. I want to keep the blog going and intend to...

Lonely Rivers said...

I loved seeing Days of Transition make it to the top of my blogroll for a short while! I do look forward to your posts, and appreciate your comments. I have learned that blogging is really time consuming and I do understand the need to step away from time to time. I have also said before that I think blogging may be more of a winter sport for me. Sorry no facebook for me - maybe after I retire.

Ralph said...

That's OK, LR, I know FB isn't everybody's cup o' tea for one reason or another. It just seemed to fit me like a glove.

Another blog friend of mine, Nan, of Jade Page Press, and I used to talk about "F&B life," for "flesh and blood life," as opposed to the one we live here in the ether. The internet opened an entire new world of friends to me and I love it. But sometimes F&B life just takes over, and I have to say that's a good thing, too...I hope to be able to strike a good balance once of these days!